Sick Poultry: Contact the California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory System.
Fact Sheets: These are short publications which address a specific topic; publication is occasional. Additional titles which were judged to be of greater interest to commercial producers can be found under "Publications" on the menu.
Standard Bred Poultry - Sources and Resources (PFS No. 18c)
Biosecurity for Poultry Flocks (PFS No. 26)
Sanitation-Disinfection Basics (PFS No. 27)
Incubating Eggs In Small Quantities (PFS No. 35)
Keep Your Flock Healthy (PFS No. 36)
Leaflets: These generally contain longer more comprehensive coverage of a specific subject than fact sheets. They are printed and sold by the publication unit of the Division of Agricultural and Natural Resources. For information contact DANR Ag Publications, 6701 San Pablo Avenue, Oakland, CA 94608-1239; (510) 642-2431. There are currently 13 poultry titles in the catalog; e-mail email@example.com. There are currently 13 poultry titles in the catalog. Those of particular interest to small producers or hobbiests are listed below. A few of these are available for preview on line. Printed copies provide better quality.
- 4-H Poultry Showmanship, 1998, 19 photographs and text, 16 pp., #4-H 2060, $3.50.
- Development of the Pheasant Embryo, 1987, 19" x 25" poster with color photographs, #3321, $3.50.
- Growing a Small Flock of Turkeys, 1981, 12 pp., #2733, $1.75.
- Keep Your Flock Healthy, 1976, 4 pp., #2902, $1.50.
- Raising Chukar Partridges, 1982, 12 pp., #21321, $1.75.
- Raising Geese, 1975, 8 pp., #2225, $1.50. [Color Photos of Breeds]
- Starting and Managing Small Poultry Units, 1980, 20 pp., #2656, $2.00.
- La cria de pollos y gallinas en menor escala, 1980, 20 pp., #21149, $2.00.
These leaflets are only available online:
- Common Lice and Mites of Poultry: Identification and Treatment
- Common Incubation Problems: Causes and Remedies, 2004.
- Egg Candling and Breakout Analysis, 2004..
Links to other sites of interest to small poultry producers:
Profitable Poultry: Raising Birds on Pasture - USDA publication from Sustainable Agricultural Network.