Sick Poultry: Contact the California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory System.
Biosecurity for Small Flocks (English)
Biosecurity for Small Flocks (Chinese)
Fact Sheets: These are short publications which address a specific topic; publication is occasional. Additional titles which were judged to be of greater interest to commercial producers can be found under "Publications" on the menu.
PFS No. 15A Getting Started in the Egg Business
PFS No. 16C California Turkey Production
PFS No. 17B The Ratite Meat Industry
PFS No. 18c Standard Bred Poultry - Sources and Resources
PFS No. 19 Points to Ponder Before Starting A Poultry Operation
PFS No. 20 Chicken Meat Production in California
PFS No. 26 Biosecurity for Poultry Flocks
PFS No. 27 Sanitation-Disinfection Basics
PFS No. 28 Animal Production Food Safety Programs
PFS No. 35 Incubating Eggs In Small Quantities
PFS No. 36 Keep Your Flock Healthy
Leaflets: These generally contain longer more comprehensive coverage of a specific subject than fact sheets. They are printed and sold by the publication unit of the Division of Agricultural and Natural Resources. For information contact DANR Ag Publications, 6701 San Pablo Avenue, Oakland, CA 94608-1239; (510) 642-2431. There are currently 13 poultry titles in the catalog; e-mail email@example.com. There are currently 13 poultry titles in the catalog. Those of particular interest to small producers or hobbiests are listed below. A few of these are available for preview on line. Printed copies provide better quality.
- 4-H Poultry Showmanship, 1998, 19 photographs and text, 16 pp., #4-H 2060, $3.50.
- Development of the Pheasant Embryo, 1987, 19" x 25" poster with color photographs, #3321, $3.50.
- Growing a Small Flock of Turkeys, 1981, 12 pp., #2733, $1.75.
- Keep Your Flock Healthy, 1976, 4 pp., #2902, $1.50.
- Raising Chukar Partridges, 1982, 12 pp., #21321, $1.75.
- Raising Geese, 1975, 8 pp., #2225, $1.50. [Color Photos of Breeds]
- Starting and Managing Small Poultry Units, 1980, 20 pp., #2656, $2.00.
- La cria de pollos y gallinas en menor escala, 1980, 20 pp., #21149, $2.00.
These leaflets are only available online:
- Selecting Chickens for Home Use
- Raising Ducks in Small flocks. [Color Photos of Breeds]
- Why My Hens Stopped Laying
- Portable Poultry House
- Marek's Disease in Backyard Chicken Flocks
- Feeding Chickens
- Raising Guinea Fowl
- Raising Game Birds
- Raising Game Birds Manual (ANR publication number 8165)
- Preventing Avian Pox
- Hatching Egg Sanitation: The Key Step in Successful Storage and Production, 2004.
- Common Incubation Problems: Causes and Remedies, 2004.
- Egg Candling and Breakout Analysis, 2004.
- Raising and Propagating Japanese Quail
- Raising Chukar Partridges, 1982.
Links to other sites of interest to small poultry producers:
Profitable Poultry: Raising Birds on Pasture - USDA publication from Sustainable Agricultural Network.
Poultry Sites This site contains many links to other sites of interest to small poultry producers and hobbiests.
Purdue University This sites contains extensive poultry information.